Everyone experiences dry, cracked lips from time-to-time.
Many lip care products on the market contain irritants that can actually make your lips worse.
Here is a list of eco-conscious, natural ingredients that heal, repair and nourish lips for long-lasting moisture protection.
Propolis is packed with powerful antioxidants and flavonoids that have been known to offer healing and health benefits for humans. In the hive, propolis is used by the bees as a wax-like sealant for plugging holes and patching walls. Just as it protects in nature, the smooth resin coats lips with rich emollients, delivering needed nutrients and hydrating lips with nothing but the good stuff. I can also keep your natural moisture from escaping into the environment, especially when weather is extremely dry or cold.
Benefits of Propolis Include:
- Antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties
- Stimulates cell growth
- Boosts immune system
- Effective wound healer
- Reported to quell acne breakouts
- Relief for bug bite itchiness and stings
Beeswax is another bee-made product bursting with health and beauty benefits. According to klausbees.com, the Egyptians are said to have implemented beeswax to protect the surface of paintings on the walls of tombs. Like propolis, this natural protectant fosters cell health and provides a protective barrier for lips. The Mayo Clinic also recommends using beeswax to treat and prevent chapped lips.
The Benefits of Beeswax for Lips Include:
- Seals in moisture
- Protects skin against irritants
- Won’t clog pores
- Infused with softening Vitamin A
Shea Butter is a rich, creamy emollient originating from the shea tree native to the African continent. It acts as a potent moisturizer with a myriad of other health benefits. According to alternativemedicine.com, shea butter is often used in sun blocks and lotions due to its natural ability to filter UV rays. This also makes it ideal for the sensitive skin of lips exposed to the intense summer sun.
Other Shea Butter Benefits for Skin and Lips:
- Humectant attributes hydrate and sooth
- Vitamin E delivers deep moisture
- Alleged to protect skin from free radicals
- Said to even skin tone and improve elasticity
Coconut Oil is a simple and yet effective ingredient for relieving dry lips. It is another solid hydrator valued for its antibacterial healing properties. It is estimated that 90-percent of coconut oil is comprised of nutrient infused fatty acids that are responsible for keeping your pout supple, healthy and hydrated.
Other Benefits of Coconut Oil for Lips & Skin can Include:
- Said to reduce signs of aging
- Promotes cellular regeneration
- Delivers moisture-rich minerals to sooth lips
- Prevents dryness, flaking
- Used to treat skin infections psoriasis, eczema and others
- Reputed antioxidant properties
Cupuacu Butter comes from the rainforest. Its high-content of fatty acids and phytosterols improve skin’s level of hydration and improves elasticity by encouraging cellular cohesion. But don’t worry: this thick, rich butter won’t cause a breakout.
Other Benefits of Cupuacu Butter for Lips and Skin:
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties to reduce redness
- Naturally improves skin’s overall moisture retention
- Regenerates new cell growth
- Antioxidants said to filter environmental damage